Friday, February 17, 2017

Her.

He dialed the number he found on the ad. His fingers were too shaky, just as his mind was, to hold the mobile properly.

"Hello," said the old lady in her seductive voice.

"Hi. I want to fix an appointment."

"Okay. Name and time, please." I didn't know until then that if anyone could ask for the details that seductively.

"Gautham. 8 P.M." Of course, I used a false name.

"See you at 8 then. I will text you the address."

"Hold on. I'm looking for a specific girl."

"Specific, who?"

I told her name. After a few seconds, she said, "Well, but she isn't available until after 9."

Fuck, I thought. "Make it 9 then. Listen, I want this girl specifically. No one else." I said firmly.

"Sure, sir."

The call was disconnected. The 'Sir' had a sugar-coated-respect all over it. I couldn't help but smile at the fake-respect people throw at others just to please them, to show them their fake-care.

Her face flashed in my mind. The face I saw almost eleven years back on the last day of the school. We both didn't know where we would end up, but wished each other well for the future. I saw my love, my first (and the last), walk away. Certain things are better left unsaid, some say. I followed, assuming fate would get us together some day, foolishly.

Amidst the thoughts about her, I dozed off. It was almost 7:30 P.M. when I woke up. I rushed to get ready. My whole body was shaking as I locked the door. Man, it's been more than a decade and I still haven't gotten over the nervousness of meeting her.

I reached the hotel by 8:40 P.M. I dialed the number. I was directed to head to a room in the second floor. The number struck a chord with me. I was also told that she was with someone and that she would meet me at 9 in the room. My heart broke. I knew I can't fix it back. Helplessly, I walked to the room with a broken heart.

In a few minutes, I was in front of the room. The number plate read 2106. What a coincidence, it was. It's her birthday, June 21. Ever since I knew of it, it became my passcode, for everything. Love, you see. The door was unlocked. I entered in and sat on the bed. Yes, I was still shaking.

It was the longest 20 minutes of my life. I heard a knock at the door. I stood up. She entered in and locked the door behind. She looked tired. She was, literally. It wasn't surprising given what she was up to in the past hour or more. I didn't realize I was crying.

She looked at me as she adjusted her dress. Her face showed that she recognized me instantly. We both stood speechless. She walked towards me and tried to say something. Only the words didn't come out. I hushed.

I knelt down in front of her and asked, "Will you marry me, please?" with a purposeful stress on the 'please.'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This