Thursday, November 3, 2011

A story - Part 7

‘A story’ began here – [Part 1]

The rest of the day went by with the thought of me messaging her. Message, not to let her know the time alone, but to have a casual chat with her, like any friends would do. Yeah, given our conversation back in the library that day, I was a friend of her already. Or at least, I thought so.
I was just roaming in and around my home, then was lying on my bed, then was standing at the terrace looking for the moon when it played hide and seek with me, and then was staring at the television with no idea of what was playing. All these activities, I did holding my mobile in my hand with a message composed to her that was left unsent – only the message changed from a mere “Hi” to “What’s up?” to “Are you busy?” to “Had your dinner?” to “I’ll be going to the library at 9”.
Amidst these crap activities of me, there entered my friend, screaming, “Hey man, have you ever tasted a lipstick?”
“What? Did you say ‘A Lipstick’?” I was baffled.
“Yes, a lipstick,” he gestured as he sat next to me patting my shoulder.
“Sorry, dude. I had several eatables all through my life, but a lipstick wasn’t one of them,” I laughed, wondering what had gotten into his otherwise savvy head.
“I think she should change the flavor,” he said with his head traveling east and west.
“Man, what are you talking about?” I was shocked.
“Nothing, just forget it.” He stood to walk to his room.
“Hey, wait,” I said trying to pull him down. But he was too strong to be pulled, and I was left with no other option than to follow him nagging.
~~~~~~~~
“What happened?” I asked him as he was making his bed. I repeated the question ample number of times, in different tones, until he responded.
“Man, why are you nagging me? It’s just that I kissed my girlfriend. Okay?”
I remained silent thinking of me being in his shoes. No, don’t call me names. I thought of me in his and Neha in his girlfriend’s shoes.
“I guess she got a new lipstick, and that tastes horrible, you know,” he said rubbing his lips with his fingers. He might’ve imagined the lipstick stains being stuck in his lips still.
“So… you do it often?” I knew it was lame to ask, but I couldn’t help it.
“Hmm… yes, only if you refer ‘at least once a day’ as ‘often’.” He said winking, “Thanks to my love facts that I’ve been showering on her lately.”
“Love facts?”
“Yeah, it’s just the facts that I draft when I’m into her, I mean, mentally. Like when she is away from me, yet with me in my mind, you see.”
“Is it some kind of a trick? Just to taste her lipstick, uh, I mean, her lips.”
“Do I look like Barney Stinson of ‘How I met your mother’ series? No way. I’m rather serious buddy. Look, do you want to hear today’s fact?” His then-recent addiction of that sitcom was evident in his words.
“Of course, yes,” I was excited.
“Here’s fact number twenty-one…” He started.
“Hold on, did you draft twenty-one facts already?” I cut him off, thinking about him tasting the lipstick twenty-one times (at least) already.
“Come on man, it’s no big deal. Now, listen to the fact for the day, ‘you’ll have a very good future together if the last two characters of your name are same as the first two of your partner’.”
I had already started to run the respective characters of his and his girlfriend’s name in my mind, and said, “But your last two and her first two didn’t match?”
“Are you a male chauvinist or what? Give her the first preference,” he replied in a cool manner.
“Poojitha and Harish. ‘H.A.’, it is,” I shouted.
“Do you think I’d come up with a fact that is not in favor of us? Idiot,” he said. (Yeah, he was right. Idiot, I was, for I’d never come across such things on my own.) I should come up with my own facts, I thought.
“But why only two?”
“My name isn’t Tharish to have three,” he said.
I replaced Poojitha with Neha. His fact drew them to be a good partner as well. Hell, no. I shouldn’t give him any clue about Neha, my inner mind voiced. I then scanned mine with Neha. Crap, his fact was not in favor of me, not in favor of us actually.
“It sounds lame dude,” I said and turned back.
“Uh-huh,” he smiled.
“Okay. Give me your other twenty facts now,” I asked him just to check if any of them works for me. Desperate, I was.
“No way,” he said, “I’d give you only after I reach my target of hundred.”
“Hundred?”
“Yes,” he nodded, proudly.
“You are something man, really,” I said, “And don’t ask her to change the flavor next time, instead ask her not to apply it when you want to, you know…” and left his room.
~~~~~~~~~~
I was only thinking about ‘The Love Facts’ for the next few hours. When he could draft the facts for his love, why can’t I? I thought. The funny fact was I wasn’t even sure of the relation between me and Neha then, and of what was cooking on her mind, but I began to think about ‘the love facts’ already. Maybe, it was because I pictured that she was the one for me, no matter how early it was to decide.
I messaged her to come to the library around 10:00 A.M. the next day. I didn’t get a reply. Ironically, I was happy for that because, back then, I was clueless of what to talk about if her reply builds up into a late night chat. You know what, for that exact reason, I messaged her late night with a hope that she might have slept already and I didn’t have to bother about the chat.
~~~~~~~~~~
“Hi,” I greeted her. She looked ravishing, as usual, in her blue Shalwar. I wondered how many hours had she spent before the mirror preening her ready. Call me whatever, but I wanted to be her mirror.
“Hi,” she waved back. She entered in and took the chair next to me.
“So, what have you decided?” she was concerned only about what she wanted. Or maybe I assumed so.
“You know what, my friend has been drafting some facts lately. I heard his latest one yesterday. It was interesting.”
“Facts, what’re they about?” She might have guessed them to be related to her stupid course. Her curiosity showed that all.
Love facts, I wanted to say, but ended up saying, “Facts, as in, facts. Do you want to hear that?”
She nodded. Just.
… To be continued [A story – Part 8].

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This