Sunday, July 17, 2011

Commitment - where everything starts


How often have you seen your friends rambling about getting a job before they finish the final year of their course in college? Pretty often, isn't it? No wonder, you yourself were one among them.  In fact, I was, and frankly, anyone and everyone falls in that category. It's not something to be ashamed of for no one here is being sheepish by being a rambling person in this regard. Everyone, at some point of time, sooner or later, rambles about it. If you happen to see anyone saying otherwise, then you are witnessing a person who is trying not to be ordinary. Don't mistake yourself by rounding him to be extra-ordinary, he is just less-ordinary.

The rambling continues till one lands up getting a job by the time they finish their course, and it only gets worse when one has to spend time with the fellow mates who were placed already. That's really a horrible thing to experience. Luckily, or unluckily I didn't get a chance to experience that. By the way, that's not the point I wanted to discuss here about. The real point is this question - How many of us are being committed to our job once we are on board? By committed, I mean a-genuine-commitment.

I have been working for almost three years now, and I have seen and been with many people in my tenure. From my very own experience, I would say, strong and hard, that not many were committed to their job, their work. I'm damn sure about that. Okay, there could be few days where people get frustrated, or feel sick, or have some (personal) things troubling them, or some stupidity running over their mind, or what not. At those times, you can't even expect them to be normal let alone being committed to what they do. Also, no one can escape from these unfortunate events, after all, we are humans. But that's acceptable as long as that happens occasionally, and even then, everyone has to, at least, try to be committed. Because that's what we are paid for - for being committed and get things done at our end, in the best possible way.

From the personal perspective, one can be lenient on people when they face any of the above said unfortunate events, but from the business perspective, one can't expect the same leniency, and you can't blame anyone for that. If that is the case, how can being-so-uncommitted be accepted from someone who is (or seems to be) normal? Honestly, I hate that, I hate the person to the core, no matter who and how close they are to me. Though I try not to put it out to that people, inside of me, I still hate them.

I just go by the motto, give everyone the best of you whether or not they deserve it. So when my company pays me, I should pay back them with what they deserve - the commitment. And I expect that from my colleagues as well. In the past 3 years, I have seen few people being uncommitted to their work. When I say that, I'm not referring anyone in particular, and moreover I just don't want to do so. Many, at least, at times, were a victim. They just take things in a rather casual way. I just want them to realize the importance of their work, the basic quality of being truthful to the employer, thereby, to themselves. Sometimes, a person's failure from being committed causes a stir among other employees, which drastically affects the commitment of theirs as well. We should inspire others to make them grow, not to make them fall.

For anyone who say, "I try, but I just can't be committed!!!". Just try to -
  • Be responsible - Responsibility makes you to finish any work in time with at most sincerity, and that turns you to be committed.
  • Enjoy - Just enjoy the work you do. You will always be committed to do something you enjoy yourself.
  • Inspire others - Always think yourself as a leader. A leader should always inspire his/her (team) mates at any cost. To be inspiring, you have work on your work first, and that pushes you to be committed.
I can't help but say, Commitment - this is with what everything starts!!! So always be committed. That's what I wanted to put forward. I just quoted this with my job, and my colleagues. My sincere apologies had I hurt someone by this post. I mean it. The commitment has to be with everyone no matter what place it is, what work we do, and top of all, what others deserve.

Having talked about commitment, I can't sign off without mentioning my colleague here. She is my inspiration when it comes to commitment. Unfortunately, she had to put in her papers last October. Wherever she is, by now, I'm pretty much sure that she will always be committed to what she does, and inspire others just like she did to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This