Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Being a major


I became a major on 21st June 2005 (Geez, I had to count twice with my fingers to make sure of the year. A complete idiot, I have become). Pity, I don't even remember whether or not I got any gifts that day let alone remembering what I got, if any. But one thing I do remember is I was more than excited for being officially, mathematically, legally (my birth certificate is the proof. Lucky, I have it safe still), and in every sense of 'being-eighteen' called as a Major.

As I was nearing the day, "What's special about being eighteen?" I thought. "Of course, everything would be special," I answered myself.

A day before, I started listing out, in my mind, the things that I would really look forward to. They are -
  • The Driver's License: I had learnt to drive the motor bike when I was in my 7th grade (some might consider it as way too late, but that's not the case for me). Going by the way I rode it, I was very well deserved to get my license irrespective of my age. But I didn’t find a way, back then, to break the system to get a license for me. Also, I wasn't a rule-breaker, you know. Never mind, I still rode. No one cared. NOTE: It was only on August 17, 2007, I got my license (for both MC and LMV-NT), and that day still pins to my list of days to remember.
  • The Passport: Well, the other important one any major who hadn't have it yet (I belong to this category, and hence it found its way to my list) should hold with them because they can't figure when they’ll fly abroad. Things might happen all of a sudden, and one shouldn’t regret missing a golden opportunity,as people used to call, just because of the lack of the passport. It was, in fact, too early to think at that time. Nevertheless, it was only a thought anyway. NOTE: I got my passport on December 4, 2007. But it’s of no use till date, apart from being used as my address proof a couple of times. And I guess, it won’t serve its primary purpose in near future as well :-(
  • Right to Vote: This was one thing I grew up fantasizing about. When I was young, my parents, on the Election Day, would leave early to cast their vote. And once they get back home, I used to glare at their forefinger over the election ink mark. I was hoping that one day I would have the same in my forefinger too. Hence, it was when I got my voter ID in hand; I felt I'm a major, for real.But unfortunately, to this day, I haven't cast my vote despite the fact that there were two State Assembly Elections and one Lok Sabha election that passed by after I was eligible. Worse, I haven't even cast my vote in any local body elections either. Yeah, I can sense how fuming it would be. Only I was to blame; I had the laziness of travelling back home [for a day] to cast my vote. To play it safe from not being called as unpatriotic [by myself], I cursed the government for not declaring the day before and after the Election Day as a HOLIDAY. Certainly, not a better excuse, though. (The only place I did cast my vote till date was during my first year 'Mess Rep' elections.)
  • Qualification for watching Adult only movies: Now don't get me wrong. Forget about the real 'A' class movies.  I'm not a guy who used to go to theatres for watching such films. Just stick to the normal Kollywood, Bollywood, and Tollywood movies that come with 'A' brand. It's just that this thing can't be ignored when talking about eighteen-years-of-age. That's it. Funny, as it may sound, but I still remember my mom not allowing me to go to the movie "Boys" just because it was 'A' certified. Now don't ask me, "Have you ever watched that film?" Of course, I did; but after 2 years of its release. Sadly, only then I had a chance!!!
From the notes that I had mentioned above, one could get how much I cared about being a major. It was just another year for me. Eighteen was just another age for me. It was just that I got a year older. I never really cared of the above mentioned ones seriously. That was the reason I had to get them only when I was twenty years old.

P.S: I only hope that I would cast my vote in the forth coming Lok Sabha elections. After all, I want to prove my care for my country to none other than myself. And Yeah, lastly, I'm almost a perfect major now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This