Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The lawyer in me


Last night, I saw the film, The Lincoln Lawyer. The movie was simply awesome. The story was sleek and intact. The screenplay was tight, engrossing and riveting. After watching the film, I couldn't sleep for almost an hour. The film didn't affect me, but it had its effect on me. I just laid on the bed mulling over the reason why hadn't I used all my brains to be a lawyer. It's one of the few jobs that really make you realize that you actually own a brain, and pushes you to use it in an effective way.

I never had a thought of becoming a lawyer, to be honest. As a matter of fact, I had no thoughts of becoming anyone. That was me until few years ago. The only point I had in my sleek mind, during my higher secondary classes, was that I shouldn't be a doctor. And if you ask me a reason, well, I can't give you a solid one. It's just I never had any interest in that profession. Insanely, I was more adamant myself with that point. That's it.

I didn't have any idea of what I would be. Worse, I didn't even have any idea of what I should or shouldn't be, in the first place. At times, I laugh at myself when I picture those days back - the days when I was the way I was - no concrete plan about my future, no specific passion, desire, and the like. I never thought I would be what I'm now, not even in my dreams. Even now if you ask me, I would say I'm not sure what I would be in ten years from now. I just live the present. I'm more than content with that.

After my tenth class, my sister asked me, am I okay with being a CA in future. I wasn't sure what it's like to be a CA or what it takes to be a CA. All I knew, at that moment, was its highly mathematical. And for the reason of my love on mathematics, I nodded immediately. My sister had to spend few minutes to explicate me further details. I was more than convinced. I thought it would suit me. Who wouldn't want to do something he/she loves? But unlike my sister, my mom wasn't interested in it. She always wanted me to be a doctor. So I eventually ended up joining the Bio-group. (Trust me, I was a good and obedient son to my parents.) However, that couldn't help me change my mind about 'being-a-doctor'. Fortunately, I didn't end up in some medical college.

Bluntly, neither then nor later, I regretted it. It's just when I walk past a house with a name board indicating someone as a CA, this thought "Maybe, I would have been one, if things were a bit different" strikes my mind. That's it, nothing more. In fact, with the current stand of mine, I thank for not being a CA.

Now, back to the point of being a lawyer; it wasn't in my list at all (Ah, I never had a list in the first place). The only time I remember being-a-lawyer is when I think of my friend who was very adamant and passionate about becoming a lawyer. He used to ask me few tips whenever we tangle with that topic. I used to give him few inputs by then. I always marveled about his passion and interest. That was the best I could do about being-a-lawyer. But last night, after watching the film, and getting impressed with Matthew McConaughey's performance, I just got into the thought of being a lawyer. Now that I know, even with the significant chance I have, I could not be a lawyer. All I could do is to wipe out the thought and move on.

P.S: The past few days were wonderful for me in the best possible way with the four movies - Limitless, Source Code, The Adjustment Bureau and The Lincoln Lawyer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This