Saturday, August 6, 2011

Oru Naalil...


I simply can't believe it (well, that's an out of line exaggeration). Yesterday, I got a mail from my friend. It was about the song - Oru Naalil from the film 'Pudhupettai'. All through the mail, she praised Yuvan Shankar Raja for his music. She said that she had always loved the song that she had heard it umpteen times. After a long while, she listened to it yesterday, and mailed me as she was still listening to it. Apparently, she appreciated his music, and the justice he did to the lyrics with his voice. The song is my all-time favorite. The lyric, penned by Na. Muthukumar, is another plus for the song. Coincidently, I was happen to listen to it yesterday after a long time.

She is a big fan of A.R.Rahman; Yuvan tops my list. We had several arguments on this topic - Who is better? She was always against my point(s) in supporting Yuvan. I had always stated that Yuvan should have got the filmfare award for 'Pudhupettai', and not Rahman in 2006. She used to pass up that. I used to respond her accusing that she is merely one among the blind supporters of Rahman. well, Rahman is a legend in the world of music, and that's irrefutable. Still, I was very much disappointed for Yuvan missing out to him in 2006 for Pudhupettai had, as people used to say, out of the world Music.

In fact, at times, I had such arguments with few of my friends - Gautham, in particular. I never gave up; so did he. That was a sheer fun during our college days, especially, whenever an audio of their film comes out. (Jeez, He hasn't mailed me in ages, but he sent out an email last week. Guess what it would be about? It's about the AR Rahman's song performed by American Choir. It made me smile for a while.) I have never played any instrument (apart from my music classes during my lower grades at school) by myself. Unlike me, he plays Guitar (he kills us with it, that's a different story). But I'm a music lover. And I love Yuvan's songs from his early days in cinema. That's the way it is. After my college, it was only her with whom I had such arguments.

I still remember the days I used to eagerly wait for the release of this movie. It was the longest wait I ever had for a movie by then (It took another Selvaraghavan film - Aayirathil Oruvan - to break that record). Pudhupettai wasn't a blockbuster. Nevertheless, it was critically acclaimed. I have read many critics rating it as one of the best gangster movies ever made in Tamil Cinema. I would rate it as the best. It was one film that I watched thrice in a theatre.

Her mail yesterday only made me remember those days.Though I loved the movie for it's make and presentment, I was equally disappointed for my favorite song - Oru Naalil, missing in the film. I used to wonder the boldness of the director to miss out the song that had reached out to masses. As soon as I checked her mail, I was tempted to listen to the song. It played for quite a few times in my music player.

                     



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This