Wednesday, October 5, 2011

100 bucks, not anymore...


We have heard people say, “Well, that was the most embarrassing moment of my life.” If you're their close aide or be with them forever, you would get a chance to hear the same words from them at different times, quite frequently. It's the way humans were designed that makes them to prefix anything with ‘the most’ at any given time, only to stress the importance of something, whether or not it actually is.

For the past one week, I have been thinking of dropping by the bakery that's located on the way to my office. The cream bun and the bun butter jam are my favorite snacks; when I say favorite, I mean, I will, without any slightest dilemma, choose any of those two over any other costly, rare, and energetic snack ever exist on the planet (even if it was offered for free).

Given the traffic and the fact that the bakery is located on the other side of the road on my way back home, I was doomed to procrastinate my intention of dropping by the bakery. But yesterday, due the fact that I left my office a bit late than I would normally do, I made up my mind to go the bakery and have my favorite snacks. I wasn’t aware of the money I had in my wallet then. It was only when I parked my bike, I realized that I had a mere 10 rupee note (that was the balance amount I had after paying my breakfast bill) with me.

I'm a kind of guy who doesn’t like to have loads of money in his wallet. During my college days, for my expenditure, I will always withdraw only 100 rupees from the ATM at a time (unless the reason is otherwise like buying a book or anything of the sort that requires more than 100 rupees). I knew that the 100 bucks would last only for a couple of days, but still I rather liked to go the ATM frequently (luckily, the rule of maximum ‘five’ free withdrawal from the ATM wasn't imposed then) than to have more money in my wallet. That was me, and that was my lame principle.

Unfortunately, I stick to that principle till date. Moreover, owning a credit card now also supports that. If I want to fill the petrol tank of my bike, I would swipe my card; If I want to buy something, I would swipe my card; And if I want to get something less than 100 bucks, then I would go to any local shop and get it, but if it’s above 100 bucks, I would go to a shop where they would accept the card. I just don’t wish to do shopping with the hard cash.

Though I was sure of the 10 rupees note I had in my wallet, I checked it once to avoid any miserable scene at the bakery. I then ferreted around in my bag to get some coins so that I wouldn’t end up sacrificing any of my two favorite items. Thanks to my habit of collecting the coins whenever I get them as a change, it added another 10 bucks (It would have added up more had I not used the remaining a day before!). Anyway, 20 rupees is more than enough, I thought. After all, both the items cost 15 rupees only.

As I was about to finish the snacks, I saw one of ex-colleagues rushing to the bakery. I knew he is working in the branch located next to the bakery, but I didn’t expect him there, at that instant, not even in my second thoughts. As usual, as expected, he asked me to ‘treat’ him; after all we were catching up after a long time – first time since we came out of our previous assignment where we used to work together.

Okay, now I was embarrassed. It’s not like I didn’t want to ‘treat’ him and all. In fact, if I had money with me, I would have volunteered myself to get him something, or anything, for the matter of fact. I didn’t know what to say. To increase my woe, he had already ordered an egg puff. I knew it was only the start. I had a lump in my throat.

I was careful not to let him know what was running in my mind. We did chat casually about his and my new assignments, our ex-colleagues whereabouts, and other silly stuffs, while we were having our snacks (I ordered one more cream bun. I don’t know with what confidence I did that. Maybe, I was sure, unlike me, he had money with him).

Once we were done with the snacks, and before I could ask him to pay (no other go, right?), he took his wallet and offered to pay the shopkeeper. I didn’t stop him. For God’s sake, how can I?

We then had a chat for few more minutes before he left the place. I thanked God for saving me from ‘the most’ embarrassing moment of my life, and thanked my friend even more. I owe him a treat, I know.

P.S: The first thing I did after leaving the bakery was to rush to the nearby ATM to withdraw the cash. (Not hundred rupees anymore, I reminded myself, strong and hard).

P.P.S: The second part of this post is really a work of fiction. Believe me.

2 comments:

  1. may be coincidence but mom mentioned tis habit of urs to me today morn..tat u never hav money in ur wallet..u ask her for money to treat ur friends wen u visit home...ll covey her abt ur new decision-'not 100rs anymore'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, bad co-incidence, it was. I will have to talk to her about it. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Share This