Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Height of Laziness...


Laziness, it is, that I have been used to these days. It has almost become an acceptable norm for me lately. Crazy, as it is; I have reached the pinnacle of laziness as yet. Last month, as a result of my procrastination to fuel my bike – despite the fact that it was 5-6 days already since I ran my bike in reserve – I was left stranded at nowhere as the fuel tank got dried on my way to my friend's place. I couldn't see any petrol bunk nearby. Result, I had to walk my bike all along 3 KMS to get into the nearest petrol bunk. Worse, it happened at around 3 P.M. when the sun was peeking with its hot rays at earth, at us, at ME.

Back then, all along the way, as I was walking my bike, I kept on reminding me – ‘not again. Never, ever let this happen again in your life. If the bike gets to come to use the reserve fuel, you have to fill the tank on the very same day, I told myself. No laziness, no procrastination, and no struggle, anymore. And the fact was, the inside me showed all the symptoms and signs that it had accepted the request of the outside me that was taking the toll of my laziness.

But, as you know, the proverb – you can’t straighten dog’s tail by putting in a hose pipe – goes, things remained the same. My laziness remained the same. Few weeks later, I ran into the same situation – I ran my fuel tank dry. Unluckily, it happened on my way to office, and luckily, my bike came to still just few meters away from a petrol bunk. I was wrong in my calculations as I had thought it would run for another 2 days in the reserve fuel. (I guess someone might have stolen the petrol from my bike; otherwise I wouldn’t usually go wrong in my calculations!) However, my inside me apologized, and the outside me was insane enough to forgive him, maybe because I was left to walk my bike only for few meters. I was second time lucky, what else to say?

Unfortunately, it didn't stop there. Unfortunately, it happened today as well. Unfortunately, this time, my friend was the victim (of course because of me!). I have been running my bike in the reserve fuel for the past few days. Since I didn't get a chance to ride my bike yesterday until late night for dinner, I didn't care to fill the tank. While riding to a restaurant for my dinner yesterday, I decided to go for it today morning on my way to office.

And when I started to office today, everything was fine – I had “you got to fill the fuel tank” very much in my mind. But as I rode near the petrol bunk, laziness had its laugh on me, and I had to ride past it with the thought that I would fill the tank in the evening. At office, my colleague wanted my bike to go somewhere. I told him that it might get dried anytime, and asked him to fill the tank in the nearest petrol bunk.

After some 15 minutes, I got a call from him. I thought he was calling me to ask the whereabouts of my bike. I picked his call.

“DRY,” all he said was this one word.

“Where are you now?” I asked, hastily.

“Just few meters away from the parking,” he replied.

*Shit!*

I felt bad for him (and for me as well). In a way, I was third time lucky; I escaped from walking my bike to a petrol bunk again. But I made up my mind not to face the same situation ever again. Now, don’t laugh at me. I mean it this time. Or I just don’t want to do one more post on this in future.

P.S: I thank my friend for taking the pain himself to get the tank filled, and yeah I drove home without any difficulty.

2 comments:

  1. The blog made me remeber what I used to be. I used to do this with my car too. But I was lucky enough for not being stranded when I was using the car. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, thinking of what you said, I'm lucky I don't own a car yet :-)

    ReplyDelete

Share This